21 June 2011

idea(l)s

Today, I was "talking" to a friend (you know how it is - IMs are the new letters are the new personal conversations) about how I kind of wish I could make money with what I write, but I don't really have much to say. I talk a lot, but nothing is new. Hooked on Novelty. And he said that the thing to do is "research, interview and opinionate." So I've been casting about, thinking about things I could talk about that might be A) new to more than 70% of the people I know or B) not on the "Jessica's Top-Ten list of stories" or C) well, boring. I'm not sure if I've found it.

I've long thought that I ought to write down some of the stories that I've collected over the years, even if they're just short anecdotes - part of what stops me is the apocryphal nature of tales but also that these stories are about people I know and who would presumably recognize themselves, and frankly a lot of other people would recognize them as well. I'm not out to ruin lives or embarrass people, especially those I call friends.

Another idea, which may well be related, is to talk about my experience as a non-traditional student. I know a lot of non-traditional students, but very few in my exact situation. Every time, and I mean just about every damn time, I talk to people about what it is I do and how I live, they act like I'm some kind of hero or extra special, but my sense of realism won't let me continue that myth. I'm just a person getting done what needs to get done. Anyone would do the same, if they had sufficient motivation. If the fire was hot enough or the chasm deep enough.

But then, large projects usually lose me.I have a sweater that I knitted several years ago - all I have to do is sew up one side and weave in the ends, and it'll be awesome-sauce. But for some reason, I always lose the project when I want to do it, or it's too hot to think about touching a bunch of wool. Or, well, there are any number of excuses. Same with blogging. I've had a Live Journal for years that I haven't touched in t least three years. I've had this thing for years and post every once in a great, yawning while. I don't know anymore if I'm doing it for me or for the lulz or what.

I know I need to ask myself a higher class of questions. Instead of "Can you do this" it ought to be "how many ways can you do this?" Or something like that.

2 comments:

  1. I think its better to write than to not write. Even if you don't sell something, its worth it to tell your story.

    Also, the vast majority of stuff I write, aside from the political stuff, is about me personally... or at least something I do or have done. I write best when its something I know about, or have experienced. Even if its something like quitting cocaine or my wedding or my dog. Experience is important to pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure if it's that important to pass on. I mean, I can bring them up for spontaneously important circumstances - like the "I had a drug-induced telepathic experience at this one Grateful Dead show back in 1994" story... but that experience itself is really only a few lines long. Not really writing worthy..

    ReplyDelete